Reverse Engineering Services
Reverse Engineering (3D Scan based) is the process of reproducing a part by extracting surfaces or sketches from a scanned point cloud/mesh to create a CAD model of the part. Different methods are used either prismatic/mechanical or organic. The product reflects how the part was to be designed originally. Creating a 3D CAD model from a 2D drawing to reflect design intent is also another form of reverse engineering. Reverse engineering is becoming a more popular method of creating a 3D model of a part without existing CAD files. This process has saved lots of individuals and companies’ time, cost and increased quality on design processes and time to market.
A 3D scanner can be used to scan/analyze a real-world object or environment to collect data on its shape and possibly its appearance (color or/and texture). The collected data can then be used to construct a digital 3D model.
Digital Scan 3D (DS3D) has trained staff that will help and recommend the best reverse engineering package for your application. Reverse engineering process falls into two major categories:
- Free-Form or Organic Parts
- Prismatic or Mechanical Parts
The reverse engineering process used to reverse engineer an object will depend on whether a part is organic or prismatic. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Range of objects we can 3D Scan
- Very small, from a Rice grain to a Boeing 747/Building.
Accuracy we can keep/delivery
- 0.01mm (0.0003”) to 0.1mm (0.004”)
Project Delivery – (ETA)
- Small Projects: 24 hrs. 3D Scanning + Reverse Engineering
- Medium Projects: 48 to 72 hours on Standard small projects for both 3D Scanning & Reverse Engineering
- Larger Projects: 3 days+ as agreed.
- Reconstructing a CAD model from a 3D Scanned data/mesh file.
Reverse Engineering QA/QC
- We check all our completed reverse engineered models against the initial scanned data before shipping out any project.
Final reverse engineered model. This CAD file can be modified or exported as a .STEP/IGES/Parasolid or any native software file such as SolidWorks, NX, Catia and any other common CAD packages (STEP/IGES/SolidWorks).
CAD Software to modify and complete Design intent:
- SolidWorks, CATIA, NX Siemens, Inventor, Creo
Industrial design and manufacturing
Science and education
Art and design
- Heritage preservation